Playing around with models in Microsoft Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations (D365FO)
Have you ever wonder that you can’t Import/Export/Delete Models in Microsoft Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations? The answer is that you can import, export and even delete models in Microsoft Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations (D365FO). But first understand what is a model?
Here, I can say that the model is the combination of metadata and source files. Model files contain a model descriptor file, metadata, source code, and referenced .NET assemblies (when applicable). A model constitutes a distributable software solution and includes the customization of an existing solution. It is a design-time concept. It is always belongs to a package.
- Package name: Moeen_TestingModel
- Model name: Moeen_TestingModel
- Package path: C:\AOSService\PackagesLocalDirectory\Moeen_TestingModel
- Model path: C:\AOSService\PackagesLocalDirectory\Moeen_TestingModel\Moeen_TestingModel
- Axmodel file name: Moeen_TestingModel-Moeen Ahmed Sultan.axmodel
- Temp folder path: C:\Moeen_SaveModelsFolder
Start playing with the models in D365FO:
- Run command prompt as Administrator
- Go to the path where ModelUtil.exe is stored i.e. C:\AOSService\PackagesLocalDirectory\Bin
Note: AOSService and PackagesLocalDirectory can be installed in other drive. So, make sure before running commands. It is in C drive in D365FO VM.
Export model in D365FO:
Command: ModelUtil -export -metadatastorepath=<path of package where the model exists> -modelname=<name of model> -outputpath=<path where you want to save model>
Import model in D365FO:
Command: ModelUtil -import -metadatastorepath=<path of package where the model exists> -file=<path of exported model where you have saved it along with extension>
Delete model in D365FO:
Command: ModelUtil -delete -metadatastorepath=<path of package local directory> -modelname=<name of model>
Read the instruction carefully. Also see the attached pictures for further reference.
If you found any ambiguity or better solution, feel free to correct and comment.
Blog: Click here
YouTube: Click here
GitHub: Click here
It always seems impossible until it’s done. – Nelson Mandela